Saudi-backed LIV Golf Series players will be allowed to compete in next month’s 150th British Open, R&A organizers announced on Wednesday.
A visit to the US PGAA blocked the protests following the opening ceremony in Britain earlier this month, but the organizers of last week’s US Open did not follow suit.
That position will follow in the final of the year, which will begin on July 15 in St. Andrew’s, Scotland.
Watch each round of the 150th Open Championship live on FOX SPORTS Kayo on the 15th-July 18 special. New to Kayo? 14-Days Free Try Now>
“The Open is an original golf championship and since its inception in 1860, its openness is fundamental to its ethics and uniqueness,” said R&A CEO Martin Schulmes.
According to the terms and conditions of the 150th place, free or qualified players can compete in the St. Andrew’s Championship.
In July, we focused on organizing the world championship and celebrating this true golf event.
Four-time champion Brooks Koipka is the latest big-name player to betray LIV Golf, along with No. 20 Mexico’s Abraham Ansar.
Koepka, 32, is expected to make his debut in the United States next week in Oregon. The Coca-Cola administration did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
He removed the American PGA Tour from his Twitter account, joining LIV and following a star-studded squad, including Dustin Johnson and six-time winner Phil Mikelson.
The series, which is funded by the Saudi Arabian Public Investment Fund, has plunged the golfing world into crisis.
LIV Golf criticizes human rights organizations.
The PGA Tour has taken a stand for the Zero-Tolerance series, with PGA Tour Commissioner Jay Monahan suspending 17 former or current tour players following the start of preparations near London.
He made it clear that other registered golfers would face the same fate.
According to reports on Tuesday, the PGA Tour plans to improve its program with a series of lucrative new tournaments – a clear indication of the rise of LIV Golf.
Monahan is thought to have explained the planned changes to the schedule ahead of this week’s trip to Connecticut.
The plans outlined by Monahan include raising the existing wallets to at least $ 20 million in eight existing markets and introducing three new $ 25 million tournaments with no breaks and no field limits. The program update could be implemented in the 2023 season.
LIV Golf has been constantly cheating on star names to sign up for the $ 25 million upstart circuit for each 54-hole tournament.
Other changes planned for Monahan Tuesday include a return to the January-December calendar year.
The current “summary” season begins in the North American autumn and is unpopular with some players who say it will not allow time off.
Speaking at the Travelers’ Championship on Tuesday, he said he hoped the winner of the PGA Tour’s visit could persuade the players to stay with the district.
Patrick Cantley described the PGA-LIV conflict as a struggle to attract and retain potential.
“If the PGA tour is to be a pre-eminent tour for professional golfers, it should be the best venue for the best players in the world,” he said.