Football and Sports News

Transfer whispers, Anthony Milford, Dolphins, Latrell Mitchell, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Tariq Sims, Nathan Brown, St George Illawarra Dragons, Parramatta Eels, Wests Tigers, August 1 deadline,

Anthony Milford has reportedly chosen the Dolphins over the Cavaliers next season in order to reunite with Wayne Bennett.

Milford The Dolphins are on the brink of signing a two-year deal to become No.6 for the first NRL season in 2023, News Corp has reported.

The 28-year-old joined Newcastle midway through the season and was considering staying but the former Brisbane star opted to return home due to family concerns.

Stream every game of the 2022 NRL Telstra Premiership season live and without ad-break when you play on Kayo. New to Kayo? Start your free trial now >

The Dolphins’ spine so far consists of Sean O’Sullivan, Jemaine Isaacs, Jeremy Marshall-King and Cody Nikorima.

Milford played his 200th NRL game at the weekend and impressed the Knights, who were willing to offer him a three-year contract.

“I’d love to sign Anthony, he’s one of the best talents we’ve coached,” Bennett told the News Corp.

“He’s played 200 games and he’s not even 30, so his best football is ahead of him.

Anthony played fantastic football for the Broncos when we made the grand final in 2015. He will be a fantastic player again with the right coach at the right club.

Bennett is still keeping a close eye on Cameron Munster for the 2024 season, according to News Corp.

See South Latreille Extension

The Rabbitohs are set to hold talks with superstar Latrell Mitchell over an extension with the club.

Report from Sydney Morning HeraldIt suggests Souths will lock in Mitchell for big money and a three-year deal.

It comes after renowned rugby league reporter Phil Rothfield warned the Rabbitohs need to be careful in their negotiations with Cody Walker and Mitchell with Wayne Bennett.

“Souths have Cody Walker and Latrell Mitchell under contract,” Rothfield said on NRL 360 last month.

But they can talk to rival clubs as a package or on their own until November.

“There’s a guy in Brisbane called Wayne Bennett who likes him and wants a player.

“The problem with the South is that they have a history of stifling negotiations.

“They’ve had Adam Reynolds and they’ve had Alex Johnston and they’ve all gone pear-shaped, so they’re going to have to make this a lot more dramatic than public.”

It’s a safe bet Mitchell will stick with South Sydney colors for the foreseeable future, although he’ll be selected with the Blues Original III after prioritizing the Browns.

“I’m worried about Souths, focus on myself,” Mitchell said on Fox League’s coverage of Super Saturday earlier this month.

“I really want to focus on South Sydney and myself and get myself ready for the final season.”

Eels try to lock Moses but it will not be easy

Parramatta Eels have their work cut out for them if they hope to keep hold of star half-back Mitchell Moses, according to Brent Read of the Daily Telegraph.

Wests have read that the Tigers are keen to enter the race for Moses’ signature, admitting that they are on the verge of returning to the club where he started his career.

Either way, Read believes that if the Eels are keen to keep the 27-year-old, he will be at a high price.

“I wonder if the Tigers will watch it after I talk to Benjy,” he told Triple M.

More news

‘It can’t be a circus’: Legendary $5 million Moses warns as ELS title design is revealed

I Feel Broken Inside: Joey opens on ‘Bulls***’

‘That hurts’: Payne fires up as NRL world slams ‘shameful’ calls that cost Cowboys

Biggest Hits: ‘Key Cog’, which puts a clock on Elles’ title window; Warriors Big ‘Shift’

Mitchell Moses pitches the Eels in a win over the Warriors on Friday night. (Photo by Jason McCauley/Getty Images)Source: Getty Images

As I understand it, the Tigers are interested in Mitchell Moses and want to bring him back to the club.

“It doesn’t hurt that Mitch has a little competitive tension in negotiating deals.

“Obviously Parramatta’s priority is to keep Mitchell because they’re desperate to do that but he won’t come cheap, he’ll cost you seven figures so they’ll have some work to do.”

Cowboys latest signing to add depth to Scud’s back line

The North Queensland Cowboys have signed former Knights and Broncos winger Gehamat Shibasaki, which will add depth to the side in time for the finals.

As the injuries began to pile up, the Cowboys quickly dumped Shibasaki, who spent this year playing rugby union in Japan, but spent two seasons with the Knights before a brief stint in rugby union.

The former rider will suit up for the Cowboys’ QLD Cup side the Townsville Blackhawks, but is expected to play for the first-grade side until the end of the season.

“He is under contract for the rest of this season and is a replacement,” Cowboys coach Todd Payton confirmed to Channel 9 Worldwide Sports.

He is a good boy and looks good in training.

The Dragons hold power in the NRL dominoes

Eels lock Nathan Brown’s saga could set off a domino effect that could see Sims leave the Dragons this month.

Those two are big men in the game who could switch sides this month, with NRL players allowed to switch clubs until August 1 this season.

Melbourne signed Sims from next season and the injury-hit club asked the Dragons for an early release last week, but the request was rejected.

Dragons lock forward Tariq Sims and Eels Nathan Brown.Source: Getty Images

However, veteran rugby league reporter Brent Read believes the Storm will make at least one claim before deadline day.

If the Dragons relent, the Eels will free up cap space to sign Brown, who they say is a free agent.

“Melbourne approached the Dragons last week and asked if they would release[Simms]early and they said ‘it’s not going to happen’ but I don’t think it’s over,” Read told Triple M.

“I think the Dragons will get three more games before the August 1 deadline and Melbourne will be watching the results of those games very closely.

I suspect Melbourne will come back again in the next couple of weeks and they will ask the question again and I wouldn’t be surprised if they come back again before the August 1st deadline.

Electric Eels Warriors Past Cruise | 01:13

More home news

‘It can’t be a circus’: Legendary $5 million Moses warns as ELS title design is revealed

I Feel Broken Inside: Joey opens on ‘Bulls***’

‘That hurts’: Payne fires up as NRL world slams ‘shameful’ calls that cost Cowboys

Biggest Hits: ‘Key Cog’, which puts a clock on Elles’ title window; Warriors Big ‘Shift’

“In terms of injuries, they have some issues and others, it’s clear that history will go there next year, the fact is that Christian Welch will not be back this year.”

Sims then explained how he would pave the way for Brown to join the Dragons.

Another person I suspect we should be keeping an eye on is Parramatta lock Nathan Brown, he’s been cleared to negotiate, he’s just finalized a new agent so talks will heat up over the next couple of weeks and again. “I wouldn’t be surprised if he goes before August 1,” Read said

“I don’t know if the Dragons like him now, but if Tariq were to move, that would open the door for the Dragons to look at someone like Nathan Brown. The other thing with Tariq is if the Dragons happen. Losing the next three games leaves Tariq out of the top eight and frees up some money they can use for this year. He’ll spend or push them into next year so he’ll have some upside in terms of the salary cap and maybe create the room for someone like Nathan Brown to join the club next year, if not this year.

Seven tests of ex-EL bags! | 01:00

Get all the NRL news, highlights and analysis straight to your inbox with Fox Sports Sportmail. Register now!!

“I know his name has been linked but I don’t know if they’re pressing on that, I know the Wests Tigers are looking at Nathan Brown, I think they’re the two big names that could move before August 1.

“If the Dragons get out of the playoffs and release Tariq Sims, they could be looking at undecideds like Jackson Ford for next year.

“So if they drop Tariq, there is some chance they will look at other guys, but I doubt they will be in the top eight until August 1.

“But Melbourne will surely ask the question again in two weeks on history.”

Tune in to Benji’s chat on Kayo Freebies Live on Monday and on demand to the biggest stars. Join Kayo Freebies now, no credit card required >

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.